Tuesday 5 July 2011

Mona May Costume Design... Not so Clueless!


The sun is shining so what better time to profile the most fun costume designer in the world. Mona May is the brain child to all the crazy, stylish and colourful outfits in Clueless, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion and The Wedding Singer to name a few. In other words she is the woman behind Cher Horowitz's wardrobe, which to me, is pretty epic.

Growing up Clueless was one of my favourite films and was probably my earliest inspiration to want to be a costume designer. The outfits were so fashion forward, colourful and fun. Suddenly everything was about Tartan, knee high socks, berets, fluffy pens and Mary Janes. Likewise, with Romy and Michelle. May has revealed that her favourite costume to date is the pink and blue dresses worn by Romy and Michelle at their reunion and i'd tend to agree. They really show the characters' personalities. They are "silly girls with great fashion sense who aren’t afraid. They let go of those silly suits and are just themselves." (Quote from May herself)

These films have managed to gain such a huge cult following and i definitely don't think this would have been the case without Mona May's spectacular costumes.

Unfortunately i can't seem to find any sketches or drawings of hers. If anyone has any pictures or knows if she does drawings or not i would love to find out.

Here are some photos of her creations-






 

"Color is my love, so I think the world is wearing too much black."- Mona May

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I love Mona May's costume designs, she is truly an inspiration for us all! I also love your blog and your work- we have very similar interests!

    I thought I'd post you some of Mona May's original drawings which I came across, if you haven't already come across them yourself.

    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/mona-may

    Hope you enjoy the drawings,

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you have officially become my new hero. I have been dying to see some of Mona May's sketches! Thank you so much for sharing.

    I am glad that you enjoyed my blog. It's good to know that there are people out there that love the same things as me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete