Wednesday 6 July 2011

RIP Cy Twombly


Today is a very sad day as my favourite artist has died. Cy Twombly, one of the worlds great lyrical painters, passed away last night at the age of 83.  I feel that my post today should celebrate his life's works.

His painting were typically on huge white canvases, and consisted of scribbles, drips, grafitti, smudges and writing. As a young teenager studying art at school his paintings really influenced me. I remeber walking around the Tate Modern and seeing his amazing work and it really struck a chord with me. I am so sad that he can longer create these wonderful masterpieces.

I loved his style so much. I remember in life drawing classes during my degree we were concentrating on drawing with inks, and i kept getting told off for letting my ink drip. I was so adament that i loved the effect of the drips and proceeded to tell my tutor about Twombly. He wasn't convinced, but still to this day i love the drips!

Here is a collection of a few of Twombly's works. I hope you enjoy them as much as i do.








No comments:

Post a Comment