Thursday 9 February 2012

Across the Universe




It's been a while since I have loved a film so much, that i can't stop watching it. I absolutely adored this film directed by Julie Taymor. Across the Universe isn't just a film; it is a work of art. I sometimes wish that i could get inside Taymor's head for just a minute to see all the creativity and ideas she has brewing in there.

This is a musical centred around songs of The Beatles starring Jim Sturgess, Evan Rachel Wood and Joe Anderson, who were all unknowns at the time. I think one of the reasons it works so well is that it doesn't try to compete with the music of the Fantastic Four, but turns them in to something completely different. Sometimes the singing does sound a bit auto-tuned, but everything else is so well done i can forget about it.

This film really does have it all. Some scenes are elaborate like old Hollywood musical numbers, some are gritty and real, some are romantic and others are just plain crazy. As ever, Taymor is engagingly experimental using puppets, illustration and SFX to dramatise the story. My favourite scene (maybe of all time?) is Strawberry Fields Forever.
I love how they have projected different scenes over the action to blend the whole story together. The Strawberry symbol is amazing. I am so close to pinning a load of bleeding strawberrys to my kitchen wall. I think i'll just have to settle for recreating the strawberry painting though.

Across the Universe was nominated for the Best Costume Design Oscar in 2007 and I for one think it thoroughly deserved it.

Behind all the colours and craziness lies a beautiful love story and a deep and meaningful message. War really is such a waste of life.

I was particularly drawn in by Joe Anderson's stirling performance as Max. I really felt his journey- staring out as an enigmatic Princeton dropout, to having all of his charisma sucked out of him by the war.

There is so much in this film that i can see why you would either love it or hate it. The plot sometimes goes off on crazy tandems and not all of it makes sense. There are a few scenes that don't work quite as well and seem a bit cheesey (e.g. Dear Prudence) but all in all this film has firmly established itself in my top 10 movies of all time.  It is a designers absolute dream to watch. I implore all of you to buy it!

I are some stills of the film. There are so many amazing images i have just decided to include all of them I hope you enjoy looking at them.








































No comments:

Post a Comment