Wednesday 5 December 2012

My First T-Shirt Design

This was my first ever T-Shirt design.
I designed it and entered it into my first ever competition.
And it was a runner up!


The competition was to design a T-Shirt for the company Artecollage in association with Talenthouse. Here is a link to the competition. Although I am disappointed not to win 1st prize and the money, I am thrilled to be one of the 5 runner ups. As an artist I have always been a bit nervous about what others may think about my work. It is such a huge confidence booster to have my design picked out of 80 entrants, especially when most of them were incredible. This will give me a fantastic start to 2013, when I plan to focus on my art a lot more than I have in recent years. I feel so inspired now and can't wait to design some more graphics!

Here are all the winning designs from Artecollge's blog post on the competition-



...And here is my original drawing for the design. I first drew this picture of Mary Pickford, the iconic silent movie star, by hand with pencil on white paper. I then scanned it in and coloured it using photoshop. I then played around with the contrast and brightness until I was happy. 


I first became interested in her because of Katie Melua's song 'Mary Pickford'. It's such a simple, pretty song which quickly established itself as one of my favourites. I definitely recommend listening to it.

"Mary Pickford used to eat roses
Thought that they’d make her
Beautiful and they did
One supposes"

I hope you like my design and well done to everyone else that entered!



No comments:

Post a Comment