Monday 27 June 2011

The 'HIP' in Hipstamatic!

Like a lot of people out there, i was a massive fan of the Polaroid camera. I loved everything about it- the suspense while waiting for a photo to develop, trawling around London to find something to photograph knowing that i only had 8 shots (8 Expensive shots at that), the browny grainy look of the photos and how creative you could be with them. I was absolutely devastated when they stopped making the film. I spent hours on ebay looking for film which i could afford but there wasn't any. I became hopeful when 'The Impossible Project' launched their new film. I tried it but was thoroughly disappointed. I admire what they are doing but the film just doesn't quite work yet.

Just when i thought i had been defeated, never to take any more Polaroid photos, and tempted sell my camera on ebay, a wonderful thing happened. I discovered the Hipstamatic app for my Iphone. I was a little but skeptical at first but it is just as satisfying as taking a Polaroid photo. You can't tell what the picture will look like, then you have to wait for it to develop and the results are beautiful. Hipstamatic photos are definitely an art in their own right. I for one am definitely going to explore this amazing camera app. You can purchase different film and lens packs and i can't wait to buy and explore them. I think the hipstamatic camera is definitely one to watch and i'm sure there will be some examples in galleries near you soon.

Although i am very new to Hipstamatic, i thought i would share with you some of my results so far-

1) This first photo is of the farm in the city. The goats are from Surrey Quays Farm, Canada Water. I would also definitely recommend this as great entertainment for a sunny afternoon!


2) This is the little dog Bella who works in our office.


3) Harvey Nichols window display celebrating the life and magnificent achievements of Alexander McQueen.


I'm sure i will continue to use my Hipstamatic camera for years to come so watch this space for more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment