Wednesday 29 June 2011

Withnail and I, With Me Forever. I feel Unusual...


I have to admit, i am one of the many masses that name 'Withnail and I' as their favourite film. But why is it so popular?

For those of you who haven't seen this masterpiece you are missing out. The film is written and directed by Bruce Robinson and is a semi autobiographical account of his life in London during the 1960s. The story follows 2 out of work actors (played by Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann) who are desperate to escape the London misery. They embark on a holiday to the lake district with hilarious results. This film however is as gritty and thought provoking as it is funny.

When i actually watched this film for the first time i was bored rigid. When i kept hearing people going on about it i decided to watch it again... and i am so glad i did. If anything you need to have watched this film because people always quote it. (We've gone on holiday by mistake!) The strength of the script is particularly commendable. It just hits you with amazing quote, after amazing quote, after amazing quote. I feel that this is probably the main reason for the film being catapulted into a cult status.

Richard E. Grant's performance as 'Withnail' is outstanding. Grant is actually allergic to alcohol and the only time he had ever been drunk was when Robinson took him out to get into character, yet he portrays the most convincing drunkard i have ever seen. I find this quite remarkable.

I particularly love how this film is completey timeless. From the fashion, to haircuts, to the decor, you still see it all around today and probably will forever.   One day as a future project i would absolutely love to turn this story into a play.

From a design point of view this film is perfection. I can only imagine how much fun the Art Department must have had making their flat in London look as disgusting as possible. The amount of rubbish alone that they had to find to fill up the sink is amazing. I particularly love how everything looks like it was once probably the height of luxury (e.g. Withnail's suit cut on Saville Row) and has all been passed down to them.



Here are some never before seen still shots taken whilst on the set of 'Withnail and I'. Photos are by Murray Close-








And here is one of my favourite photos of Richard E Grant and Paul McGann


These days i even have a picture of 'Withnail and I' hanging on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment